The service is led by breast consultants and supported by a dedicated breast care nurse specialist.
We also provide expert multidisciplinary care to address all breast conditions including:
- Breast cancer
- Breast reconstruction
- Breast abnormalities
- Breast pain (mastalgia)
- Nipple discharge
- Male breast concerns
- Benign breast lumps (e.g: fibrodenoma)
Benefits of the Rapid Diagnostic Breast Care Service
- Full service under one roof
- Available to both insured and self funded patients
- Appointment with breast consultant, mammogram and/or ultrasound and biopsy (if required) can take place on the same day
- Onward referral if cancer is diagnosed to defined treatment pathways
- Led by breast consultants who are leaders in their fields, supported by dedicated breast multidisciplinary team
The following diagnostic tests may be required:
- Mammogram - this provides an X-ray of the breasts with the mammographer taking images by positioning the breast between two plates. A radiologist then checks the images and may recommend additional breast imaging to achieve the best assessment
- Ultrasound - this uses sound waves to create an image of the breast tissue, helping the doctor look for lumps and any other abnormalities
- Core biopsy - using a local anaesthetic, this involves removing a tiny piece of breast tissue. More than one sample may be required to ensure an adequate amount of tissue is taken. The procedure takes a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes
Further diagnostic tests
In addition to these tests, more complex investigations can be arranged and can include:
Our Rapid Diagnostic Breast Care Service is available Monday to Friday.
Breast care pathway prices
The following consultants offer appointments for the Rapid Diagnostic Breast Care service:
Additional breast care services
Our dedicated team offers a wide range of support for patients undergoing breast treatment. This includes:
- Macmillan counselling service - Counselling provides an important means of support for you and your family
- Physiotherapy - Specialist cancer physiotherapists aim to improve quality of life through tailored rehabilitation programmes throughout treatment and recovery
- Massage service - Helpful for those undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy to aid relaxation, alleviate tension and stress, and improve body comfort
- Prosthesis and bra fitting service - Whether it's reassurance and advice on finding and wearing the right bra, partial prosthesis (to even out breast shapes post breast-conserving surgery) or full prosthesis (following mastectomy) - we're here for you
Why choose Bupa Cromwell Hospital's Rapid Diagnostic Breast Care Service?
What our patients say:
"The Bupa Breast Care Pathway is an excellent time-saving use of services that ensures all the original diagnostic testing is completed in one go and in one location. This is a completely logical and sensible approach."
"I was referred from a Bupa health assessment and within a week I'd had a consultation, ultrasound, biopsy and the results. A very positive experience."