Bupa Cromwell Hospital has a prostate cancer diagnosis pathway that starts with an abnormal PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) detection at a GP appointment or Health Assessment, and takes you through the diagnosis and treatment options.
Benefits of our Prostate Care Pathway
- Seamless transition from GP appointment (if abnormal PSA detected) onto the pathway for diagnosis and treatment
- Leading urologists to guide you through each step of the process
- Quick test results
- Improved speed and accuracy of diagnosis
- Reduced pre-authorisation calls for Bupa insured customers, and less admin for all patients
- Available to both insured and self funding patients
Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer
Patients with possible prostate cancer symptoms can be diagnosed with a range of different tests. These include:
- Blood tests - measure the levels of a protein called prostate specific antigen (PSA). High levels of PSA can also be caused by other prostate conditions apart from cancer, so this test would be combined with other tests
- Digital rectal examination (DRE) - A doctor will feel the prostate through the wall of the rectum – if you have prostate cancer it may feel harder than usual, or knobbly
- Prostate biopsy - a small sample of tissue is taken using a needle and sent to a lab for testing. Biopsies may be taken under local anaesthetic or sedation, or under general anaesthetic, depending on the type of biopsy involved
- Ultrasound scans - the doctor examines the prostate gland using a small device inserted into the rectum
- CT scans, MRI scans and bone scans - these can be used to show the surgeon how far the cancer has spread, if at all.
- More about our CT scan service
- More about our MRI scan service
Why choose Bupa Cromwell Hospital for Prostate Cancer Treatment?
We deliver a comprehensive private prostate cancer treatment service. This includes a wide variety of treatment options, including innovative treatments such as Brachytherapy, Hormone therapy, Radiotherapy and TomoTherapy. We are the only private provider of TomoTherapy in the UK.
Led by award-winning urologist Professor Hashim Ahmed, the pathway is designed to ensure the smoothest possible patient journey. Our team consists of experts including surgeons, clinical oncologists, radiographers and radiologists, who have specific areas of expertise but work closely together. There are also physiotherapists, psychologists and other specialists on hand when needed. Treatment plans are put together according to the type, size and grade of the cancer, as well as the patient’s overall health.
What our patients say
“Explaining technical answers to a patient, when you don’t know what their level of understanding is, is always difficult. The fact that Mr Ahmed drew a picture to explain my condition made my understanding so much easier.
The team made me feel secure, cared for and in safe and competent hands; I could have asked for no more.”
“Mr Ahmed was clear and decisive as to my situation. He was quick to act in arranging a same day biopsy which leads to rapid access to diagnostic clarification. I trusted Mr Ahmed. The biopsy was completed within 10 hours from the decision to go ahead on this pathway.
The nurse Tonee was very important in my case. I needed the highly professional technical guidance provided by him as soon as the decision was taken to undertake the biopsy. This was traumatic for me and I also needed the psychological support of an experienced medical professional. Top rapid execution from a superb team.”
How do I pay for treatment?
We welcome both insured and self-pay patients as well as company and embassy sponsored patients.