We treat children from birth up to 16 years of age who are experiencing disorders of the ear.
Children are referred because of concerns about hearing, balance, noises in the ear and speech and language delay. Referral may be via your GP or consultant.
We offer various tests to determine hearing levels, including Play audiometry, and treat many patients with glue ear - a common condition in children that often causes temporary conductive hearing loss and can be attributed to speech and language delay, poor attention and sometimes behavioural problems. We use a Tympanometry test to check for glue ear, and management of the condition is either conservative or may require surgery; depending on the child's hearing level.
We offer the following hearing tests for children:
- Play audiometry (hearing test for children 2-3 years old)
- Visual reinforcement audiometry (suitable for children 8 months - 24 months)
- Tympanometry to check for Glue ear.
- Auditory brainstem response testing (ABR)
- Otoacoustic emission testing
- Pre-surgery assessment
Benefits of Children's audiology at Bupa Cromwell Hospital
- State of the art facilities and equipment
- Specialist Paediatric Audiologists and Consultants
- Flexible appointment times
- Collaborative approach with speech therapy and other paediatric services.
Please note that we do not provide a paediatric intensive care unit at Bupa Cromwell Hospital. However, any deteriorating child will be quickly assessed and stabilised by a Resident Medical Officer (RMO) trained in paediatric intensive care, supported by an on-call Paediatric Intensive Care Consultant, before being transferred to the most appropriate paediatric intensive care provider by the Children’s Acute Transport Service (CATS).