This specialty covers the diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and prevention of blood diseases and cancer of the blood and lymphatic system.
Conditions we treat include:
- Hodgkins disease
- chronic lymphatic leukaemia
- acute and chronic leukaemia.
Benefits of treatment for haemato-oncology at Bupa Cromwell Hospital
The service is provided by a highly experienced multidisciplinary team including:
- specialist surgeons
- radiographers using the most advanced equipment available
- microbiologists who identify the source of infection and give infection management and treatment advice
- clinical oncologists
- consultant haematologists specialising in diseases involving the blood and, or, lymphatic system
- clinical nurse specialists for oncology including chemotherapy for inpatients and outpatients visiting the chemotherapy day unit
- palliative care specialists including a consultant and clinical nurse specialist
- lymphoma treatment
- breast clinic managed by a breast clinical nurse specialist, surgeons and an oncologist
- occupational therapists.
What does treatment involve?
Each patient is unique and has a treatment plan designed by a consultant which could include; chemotherapy, or radiotherapy and sometimes a combination of both.
We also offer autologous stem cell transplant for certain patients requiring high dose chemotherapy for haematology conditions.
The treatment plan includes follow-up treatments. Each patient is closely monitored by a nurse navigator, or the breast clinical nurse specialist if being treated for breast disease.