Using different types of imaging to diagnose and monitor a range of conditions.
Using the latest technological advances in scanning, our radiology specialists ensure rapid diagnosis of your condition, providing a seamless route to treatment and recovery.
Radiology is a specialty that uses medical imaging to diagnose and treat injuries and conditions of all parts of the body.
Our radiologists are trained to interpret medical images, and they work hand-in-hand with consultants across different specialties to ensure the most accurate diagnosis and the best care possible.
Diagnostic scans available include:
- X-ray – showing bone abnormalities, fractures and deformities
- mammogram – the most advanced technology for studying breast tissue and diagnosing abnormalities of the breast
- tereotactic biopsies – targeted imaging to find the accurate location of a breast lump and take sample cells from the area.
- angiography – used to demonstrate blood flow within major blood vessels
- bone density (DEXA) – for the quantitative analysis of bone texture/density, this common test for men and women over 50 and can help in the diagnosis of osteoporosis
- ultrasound – using ultrasound waves and is highly effective in investigating soft tissue areas, particularly the breast, abdomen, pelvic and thyroid
- CT – a cross-sectional image of your body. Uses include soft tissue analysis, indication of extent of bone erosion, staging of disease and radiotherapy planning.
- MRI – using strong magnetic field and radio frequency pulses to give three dimensional images.
- nuclear medicine – this involves injecting a substance into the body called a radio-isotope which highlights abnormally functioning areas of the body
- PET/CT – highly advanced technology which combines CT information with nuclear medicine information. PET/CT is used to highlight and localise abnormal cellular activity
- OPGs (ortho-pantography) – provides a panoramic view of the upper and lower jaws including teeth, nerve roots and associated structures and is used for assessing wisdom teeth and general oral health
- doppler ultrasound – used for the scanning of veins and arteries
“I had a great experience at the Cromwell Hospital; the staff were amazing, and is another level of professionalism compared to other hospitals I’ve stayed in.”