Radiotherapy destroys the DNA inside cancer cells to prevent them from reproducing, by using high-energy beams (x-rays) or radiation inside your body.
Advanced radiotherapy from GenesisCare
We are proud to be partnering with GenesisCare, the leading private provider of radiotherapy services in the UK.
Through our partnership, we are committed to providing a world-class cancer service in the heart of west London, with rapid access to pioneering technology and individualised treatment plans designed to produce the best possible life outcomes.
There are two types of radiotherapy:
- External beam radiotherapy: x-rays given from outside your body, using a radiotherapy machine.
- Internal radiotherapy: a small amount of radioactive material is placed inside your body to treat cancers in your internal organs.
Both types can be given as outpatient procedures, or are carried out as part of wider inpatient cancer treatments.
The GenesisCare Centre for Radiotherapy at Cromwell Hospital will offer some of the most advanced radiotherapy treatments available today. Together with these technologies, the radiotherapy service includes innovative organ-sparing treatments, advanced computer imaging and sophisticated AI planning systems, which means personalised treatment plans can be started within days of diagnosis for all cancer types.
Varian Edge state-of-the-art radiotherapy
The Varian Edge provides very precise radiotherapy. It is designed for stereotactic brain and spinal radiosurgery, as well as stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) which is used for small tumours elsewhere in the body and Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy, a highly versatile treatment for a wide range of cancer types.
Gamma Knife Icon radiosurgery
Despite the name, Gamma Knife Icon treatment does not involve surgery. Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) is an effective treatment for single and multiple brain metastases, which can occur as secondary tumours in patients with cancers such as melanoma, breast and lung cancers. SRS uses powerful beams of radiation to destroy cancer cells in a few short treatments. It is often called ‘brain-sparing’ surgery because of its ability to protect healthy brain tissue and preserve quality of life in people needing treatment for brain tumours.
The new Gamma Knife Icon is one of the most advanced systems for this type of intracranial (brain) surgery.
Gamma Knife Icon is also used to treat benign brain tumours such as meningiomas, acoustic neuromas and primary pituitary tumours and other non-cancerous brain conditions.
MRIdian MRI-guided radiotherapy
The MRI-Guided Linac is a technological step change in radiotherapy that significantly improves outcomes through more precise targeting of tumours, including those of the pancreas, liver, lung, prostate and breast. The MRIdian is a state-of-the-art system that combines an MRI scanner with a radiotherapy machine. For most patients, it will reduce the number of treatment sessions by half.
The MRIdian will be available from early 2021, we will be the first hospital in London to offer this service outside of a research study.
Why choose us?
- Advanced radiotherapy offered as standard through our partners GenesisCare – the UK’s leading private providers of radiotherapy
- Extensive team – your consultant will work with our expert radiotherapists, nurses and other specialists as part of multidisciplinary teams throughout the hospital.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging – including onsite MRI, PET/CT, and CT reported by specialist radiologists.
- Fully equipped to diagnose and treat a diverse range of cancers including complex cases.
- Complementary wellbeing therapies for radiotherapy patients, in partnership with Penny Brohn UK
- Personalised exercise medicine programme tailored to radiotherapy patients for their treatment
- Central London location – easily accessible by train and The London Underground.
“I had a great experience at the Cromwell Hospital; the staff were amazing, and is another level of professionalism compared to other hospitals I’ve stayed in.”
Lorne, Bupa Cromwell patient