Rapid diagnostic breast care service
Our rapid diagnostic breast care service enables you to see a consultant, have scans, tests and a biopsy (if needed) all on the same day.
The service is led by breast consultants and supported by a dedicated breast care nurse specialist. Our team offers diagnosis and treatment for:
- breast cancer
- breast reconstruction
- breast abnormalities
- breast pain (mastalgia)
- nipple discharge
- male breast concerns
- benign breast lumps (e.g. fibrodenoma)
What tests are involved?
Depending on your symptoms, you may need to have:
- a mammogram – an X-ray scan of your breasts
- an ultrasound – a scan using a handheld ultrasound probe that uses sound waves to create an image of the tissues inside your breast
- a core biopsy – using a fine needle, removing a small piece or pieces of tissue from your breast to be examined in a lab
Depending on your results, you may also need more further diagnostic scans, including:
Breast care diagnostic pathway
A breast consultant will assess your symptoms during your appointment and carry out a physical examination
A mammogram, ultrasound and/or biopsy will be discussed with you and carried out immediately by a mammographer and consultant radiologist
A consultant radiologist will discuss the initial results with your breast consultant, who will share these with you
If required, you will have a follow-up consultation to discuss your biopsy or test results.
All breast patients with breast abnormalities are discussed at a multidisciplinary meeting to decide a tailored treatment plan.
Why choose us?
Our rapid diagnostic breast care service offers:
- a fully integrated service under one roof
- an appointment with breast consultant, mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy (if required) all on the same day
- care led by breast consultants and supported by a dedicated breast care nurse specialist
- expert multidisciplinary cancer care on-site in the event of a cancer diagnosis
- different payments options – this service is available to everyone, whether using health insurance or paying for yourself
“I had a great experience at the Cromwell Hospital; the staff were amazing, and is another level of professionalism compared to other hospitals I’ve stayed in.”